Practical tips for effective steam cleaning: A comprehensive guide
- Shopping Guides
- Tested & Recommended
- Published on Saturday, 20 May 2023 11:06
- Last Updated on 19 May 2023
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Maintaining a clean and sanitised home is essential for our health and well-being. Traditional cleaning methods often involve the use of chemical-laden products that may not only be harmful to our health but also to the environment. Fortunately, advancements in technology have given rise to steam cleaners, which provide a chemical-free and highly efficient alternative for cleaning various surfaces. In this article, I will explore the benefits of steam cleaning and review the VonHaus Handheld Steam Cleaner, a versatile and affordable option for achieving spotlessly clean and sanitised spaces.
The Power of Steam Cleaning
Steam cleaning utilises the power of hot pressurised steam to effectively remove dirt, grime, grease, stains, and bacteria from a wide range of surfaces. Unlike conventional cleaning methods that rely on chemicals, steam cleaning provides a safe and eco-friendly solution, making it an ideal choice for households with children, pets, and individuals with allergies or respiratory conditions.
Benefits of the VonHaus Handheld Steam Cleaner
The VonHaus Handheld Steam Cleaner is a powerful multi-purpose cleaning tool that offers exceptional versatility. Priced at £34.99, this compact and lightweight cleaner is suitable for use in and around the home, garage, vehicles, gardens, patios, offices, and more. Let’s take a closer look at its features:
- Chemical-Free Cleaning and Sanitising: The VonHaus Steam Cleaner emits powerful hot pressurised steam, providing up to eight minutes of chemical-free cleaning and sanitising. This feature ensures that you can achieve a hygienic and germ-free environment without the need for harsh chemicals.
- Wide Range of Applications: With its multi-purpose design, the VonHaus Steam Cleaner can tackle various cleaning tasks. It effectively removes dirt, dust, mould, grease, grime, stains, and marks from surfaces such as countertops, tiles, windows, mirrors, upholstery, curtains, ovens, stove tops, BBQ equipment, and bathroom fixtures.
- Attachments for Every Task: The cleaner comes with several attachments to enhance its functionality. These include a precision nozzle for hard-to-reach areas, a window and glass attachment for streak-free cleaning, a round brush for stubborn stains and grime, an angled nozzle for bathroom cleaning, a mini mop attachment with cloths for upholstery, and a flexible extension hose for accessing difficult spots.
- Easy to Use: Operating the VonHaus Steam Cleaner is a breeze. Simply fill the 250ml water tank with tap water, using the provided measuring cup and funnel, and you’re ready to start cleaning. The lightweight handheld design, weighing only 1.5kg, coupled with the 3-meter long cord, ensures easy mobility and manoeuvrability.
- Powerful Performance: The VonHaus Steam Cleaner boasts a power rating of 900-1050w, providing sufficient steam pressure for effective cleaning and sanitising. Its working pressure is 105 and the maximum pressure is 3.2 BAR, enabling it to tackle tough dirt and stains.
Practical Tips for Steam Cleaning
To make the most of your steam cleaning experience, here are some useful tips:
- Prepare the Surface: Before steam cleaning, remove loose dirt and debris from the surface you intend to clean. Vacuuming or sweeping the area will help achieve better results.
- Test in an Inconspicuous Area: For delicate or sensitive surfaces, it is advisable to test the steam cleaner in a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it does not cause any damage.
- Utilise Appropriate Attachments: Steam cleaners often come with a range of attachments designed for different surfaces and cleaning tasks. Take advantage of these attachments to maximise the effectiveness of your cleaning. For example, a detail nozzle can target grout lines and crevices, while a fabric tool is ideal for refreshing curtains and upholstery.
- Prioritise Safety: While steam cleaning is generally safe, it’s important to take precautions to protect yourself and the surrounding areas. Wear protective gloves and goggles to shield yourself from hot steam or potential splashes. Avoid using steam to clean electrical appliances, outlets, and delicate surfaces that may be damaged by moisture.
- Follow Manufacturer’s Instructions: To ensure optimal performance and longevity of your steam cleaner, always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. Each model may have specific recommendations regarding water quality, cleaning solutions, and maintenance procedures. Adhering to these guidelines will help you get the most out of your steam cleaner.
- Consider Using Cleaning Solutions: While steam alone is effective at eliminating many types of dirt and stains, sometimes using a suitable cleaning solution can enhance the results. For example, for stubborn grease or grime, a mild detergent or vinegar solution can be applied before steam cleaning. However, always ensure that the cleaning solution you use is compatible with your steam cleaner and the surface being cleaned.
- Allow Sufficient Drying Time: After cleaning, allow ample time for the surfaces to dry completely before using or placing any items back. Opening windows or using fans can help expedite the drying process. Proper drying will prevent the growth of mould or mildew and maintain the cleanliness of the area.
- Regular Maintenance: To keep your steam cleaner in optimal condition, it’s important to perform regular maintenance. Empty and rinse the water tank after each use to prevent the buildup of mineral deposits. Clean or replace filters as recommended by the manufacturer. Regular maintenance will extend the life of your steam cleaner.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums