Travel with kids: The benefits of learning a second language when young
- Mums Tips
- Travel with kids
- Published on Tuesday, 21 December 2021 11:01
- Last Updated on 09 December 2021
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Five years ago we decided to move from London to Italy with the intention of giving our two children the opportunity of learning a second language and get to know their Italian heritage. Now aged 13 and 8, Alessia and Sebastiano are completely bilingual and are enjoying learning a third language. I teach English in a primary school here and see how easily the children pick up the language the earlier they start and can imitate pronunciation at 5 or 6 years of age which they can no longer do at 10 or 11. This gave me the idea of organising language camps for families in the summer for all ages so that families can enjoy a Tuscan holiday, delicious food , warm weather and spectacular scenery, but also go home with a basic knowledge of the Italian language and some cooking skills.
Here are a few benefits of learning a second language when young.
1. kids learn faster and easier.
2. Language learning improves problem solving and creativity. Studies show that it strengthens decision-making.
3. It is a good way to connect with other cultures and build tolerance.
4. Learning a second language boosts confidence.
5. It’s a great way to see the world and meet new people!
6. Studies show that Learning a second language improves communication skills and vocabulary in your native language.
7. When you learn a second language new brain networks are created making it easier to learn a third or fourth language.
8. It is good for the brain at any age!
9. It improves job opportunities in the future.
10. Best of all, it’s fun and sociable!
We organise fun Italian language and cooking courses for all ages at Villa Radicata plus yoga and fitness breaks. We are in a stunning, less touristy area of Tuscany so our guests have plenty of opportunity to practice their Italian with locals, as very few speak English in the village.
Villa Radicata, Caprese Michelangelo, Tuscany. Closest airport is Perugia (Ryanair)
Rita: Whatsapp 00447983821282 / 00393495018679
Price for 7 days, all meals, all classes, excursion to the medieval town of Anghiari £950. Children under 12 half price. Under 5’s free. Weekly rentals from £2500.
Why not give a Christmas present with a difference this year?
10% discount for London Mums.
The villa sleeps 10. 5 bedrooms / 4 bathrooms, plenty of outside and inside dining space, fully equipped kitchen, large pool and garden plus outdoor pizza oven.
We run fully catered breaks and also self-catering weeks with the add on of Italian /cooking/yoga lessons. Pick up from Perugia airport can be arranged.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums