Mum’s winter school run essentials: Stay prepared and comfortable in the cold
- Mums Tips
- Parenting Skills
- Published on Friday, 22 September 2023 12:56
- Last Updated on 22 September 2023
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Mums around the world know that winter school runs can be a challenge. From the early mornings to the chilly weather, it’s important to have the right essentials to make the daily trip a bit easier. In this article, we’ll be discussing some of the must-have items for mums during the winter school run.
First on the list is a warm and comfortable coat. With temperatures dropping, it’s crucial to have a coat that can keep you warm and protected from the elements. Whether it’s a puffer jacket or a wool coat, finding the right one can make all the difference.
Another essential item is a sturdy and reliable pair of boots. With snow, ice, and slush on the ground, it’s important to have footwear that can keep your feet warm and dry while also providing good traction. From ankle boots to knee-highs, there are plenty of options to choose from to fit any style and budget.
- Essential Clothing
- Transportation Essentials
- Health and Hygiene Products
- Food and Hydration
When it comes to the winter school run, dressing appropriately is key to staying warm and comfortable. Here are some essential clothing items that every mum should have in her wardrobe:
- Warm coat: A good quality coat is essential for keeping warm on chilly mornings. Look for a coat that is made from a warm material like wool or down, and has a hood to protect your head from the wind and rain.
- Thermal underwear: Thermal underwear is a must-have for staying warm in cold weather. Look for thermal tops and bottoms made from synthetic materials like polyester or merino wool, which are breathable and moisture-wicking.
- Woolly hat: A woolly hat is a great way to keep your head warm and protect your ears from the cold. Look for a hat made from a warm material like wool or cashmere, and choose a style that covers your ears.
- Gloves: Gloves are essential for keeping your hands warm and protected from the elements. Look for gloves made from a warm, waterproof material like leather or Gore-Tex, and choose a style that allows you to use your phone without having to take them off.
- Scarves: Scarves are a versatile accessory that can be used to keep your neck and face warm, or to add a pop of colour to your outfit. Look for a scarf made from a warm material like wool or cashmere, and choose a style that complements your coat.
- Boots: A good pair of boots is essential for staying warm and dry on the winter school run. Look for boots made from a waterproof material like leather or Gore-Tex, and choose a style that is comfortable and practical. Womens sheepskin boots are a great option for keeping your feet warm and cosy.
When it comes to getting the kids to school during the winter months, transportation is key. Here are some essentials to make the school run as smooth as possible:
1. Winter Tires
Winter tires are a must-have for anyone driving in snowy or icy conditions. They provide better traction on slippery roads and can help prevent accidents. Make sure to get them installed before the first snowfall to avoid any last-minute rush.
2. Car Seat Covers
Car seat covers are great for protecting your car seats from snow, slush, and dirt. They also provide extra warmth for your child during the cold winter months. Look for covers that are easy to clean and can be removed quickly in case of spills.
3. Ice Scraper and Snow Brush
An ice scraper and snow brush are essential tools for clearing snow and ice off your car. Make sure to keep them in your car at all times, so you’re prepared for any unexpected snowfall.
4. Emergency Kit
It’s always a good idea to have an emergency kit in your car in case of any unforeseen circumstances. Include items like a flashlight, blankets, first aid kit, and snacks. Make sure to check the kit regularly to ensure that everything is up to date.
5. Booster Seat
For older children who have outgrown their car seats, a booster seat is a must-have. It helps position the seat belt correctly on your child, providing better protection in case of an accident. Look for booster seats that are easy to install and can be adjusted to fit your child’s height and weight.
By having these transportation essentials, you’ll be well-prepared for the winter school run.
Health and Hygiene Products
When it comes to the winter school run, staying healthy and hygienic is essential. Here are some must-have health and hygiene products to keep in mind:
- Hand Sanitizer: With so many people around, it’s easy to pick up germs. Hand sanitizer is a quick and easy way to kill germs on the go. Look for one with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Tissues: Runny noses are a common winter ailment. Make sure to have a pack of tissues on hand to avoid spreading germs.
- Lip Balm: Cold weather can be harsh on the lips, causing them to dry and crack. Keep a tube of lip balm in your bag to keep lips moisturized and protected.
- Thermometer: If your child is feeling unwell, it’s important to monitor their temperature. Keep a digital thermometer in your medicine cabinet at home, and consider getting a portable one to keep in your bag.
- Pain Reliever: Headaches, fever, and other aches and pains can strike at any time. Keep a small bottle of pain reliever in your bag in case of emergencies.
- Sunscreen: Even in the winter, the sun’s rays can be damaging to the skin. If your child’s school run involves spending time outside, make sure to apply sunscreen to exposed skin.
By keeping these health and hygiene products on hand, you can help ensure a smooth and healthy winter school run.
Food and Hydration
When it comes to the winter school run, it’s important to keep both the parents and the children well-fed and hydrated. The cold weather can be quite dehydrating, so it’s important to make sure everyone has enough fluids throughout the day.
One great way to ensure everyone stays hydrated is to pack a reusable water bottle for each person. This way, they can refill it throughout the day and always have water on hand. It’s also a great way to reduce waste and help the environment.
In terms of food, it’s important to pack snacks that are both nutritious and filling. Some great options include:
- Trail mix
- Fresh fruit
- Granola bars
- Cheese and crackers
- Yogurt cups
It’s also a good idea to pack a lunch that can be easily eaten on the go. Sandwiches, wraps, and salads in a jar are all great options. Make sure to pack enough food for the entire day, as well as some extra snacks just in case.
Overall, keeping everyone well-fed and hydrated is key to a successful winter school run. With a little bit of planning and preparation, it’s easy to ensure everyone has the fuel they need to make it through the day.
In summary, being prepared for the winter school run is essential for moms. Ensuring that they have the right winter gear, including warm jackets, hats, gloves, and boots, will keep them warm and dry during the colder months. Additionally, having a reliable car with winter tires and a fully charged battery is crucial for safe transportation.
Moms should also consider packing some essentials in their car, such as a first aid kit, snacks, and water, in case of emergencies or unexpected delays. It’s also a good idea to have a blanket and some extra warm clothes in the car, just in case the weather takes a turn for the worse.
Overall, with the right preparation and mindset, moms can conquer the winter school run with ease. By being confident, knowledgeable, and neutral, they can ensure that their children arrive at school safely and comfortably, no matter what the weather brings.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums