Autumn Safety Guide – Keeping safe around Fireworks

As the leaves begin to fall and autumn descends the excitement of Trick or Treating and Fireworks mounts for little ones. However, dark evenings and over-excited children can be a recipe for disaster and it is advisable to plan ahead to ensure everyone remains safe:

 

 

fireworks

Trick or Treat:

Fancy dress costumes tend to not be waterproof or flame resistant. Keep your children warm and dry by wearing warm clothes underneath costumes and taking a waterproof with you.  Be extremely careful to avoid naked flames.

Talk to children and explain that although Halloween is scary it is people dressing up and pretending.  Always hold small children’s hands tightly in case they are suddenly scared and bolt. Be particularly careful around roads. Remind children only to approach houses where there is an obvious sign such as a pumpkin to show they are actively participating in the festivities. Older children should be reminded about the importance of staying together (although not going to front doors as an intimidating large group), remaining polite and keeping safe around roads.

Trick or Treat sweets are unlikely to be the freshest or most hygienic and will not have been screened for anyone with a nut allergy!

 

Fireworks:

It is always safest to attend a properly regulated public firework display. However, if you are planning to hold a firework display at home; it is crucial that you prepare in advance:

Make sure you have an appropriately stocked first aid kit, a bucket of sand, immediate access to plenty of water, a fire blanket and a bottle of sterile saline to irrigate eyes should sparks or debris be blown into them. Check all your fireworks conform to British Standards and that you have sufficient space to ignite them safely.

Despite all the precautions, things can go wrong and every year during the four weeks around November the 5th, around 1,000 people suffer injuries from fireworks. .

Firework safety FirstAidforLife

First Aid for Burns: Scalds from hot drinks, or burns from fire

Hold the affected area under cool, running water for at least 10 minutes. Keep the casualty warm and look out for signs of shock. Any loose clothing and jewellery should be removed as quickly as possible but NEVER remove anything that has become stuck to a burn. If a child is burnt and the area is blistered and larger than a 50 pence piece; phone for an ambulance straight away. Once the burn has been cooled for at least 15 /20 minutes, the burn can be loosely covered with cling film or inserted into a sterile plastic bag if appropriate –alternatively keep running it under water until the paramedic arrives. All burns should be assessed by a medical professional.

NEVER:

  • Touch the burn

  • Remove anything stuck to the burn

  • Use lotions, ointments or creams

  • Use adhesive dressings

  • Break blisters

If clothing is on fire, remember: stop, drop, wrap and roll.

Try to prevent the casualty from panicking or running – as any movement or breeze will fan the flames causing them to spread and making things worse. Help the casualty drop to the ground and wrap them in a blanket, coat, or rug to smother the flames. Protect yourself from the fire.

It is strongly advised that you attend a practical or online First Aid course to understand what to do in a medical emergency. First Aid for life provides this information for guidance and it is not in any way a substitute for medical advice. First Aid for Life is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made, or actions taken based on this information. www.firstaidforlife.org.uk and www.onlinefirstaid.com

Facebook Comments

%d bloggers like this: