10 Quick cleaning hacks for busy mums
- Mums Tips
- Parenting Skills
- Published on Sunday, 19 March 2023 12:41
- Last Updated on 22 March 2023
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Busy mums are often tired after a long day of feeding their children and running errands. With a little planning and a lot of help, it’s possible to keep your home tidy without taking too much time away from family life. We’ve put together a list of quick cleaning hacks for busy mums that will ensure you’re always on top of the mess and keep your home in good shape. These tips will also help you get your kids involved in the cleaning process and make it more fun for them.
Just remember to plan your time for all these chores. For some tasks everyday attention is necessary. For others, weekly or monthly cleaning will do just fine.
If you are planning a big cleaning of the whole house, like spring cleaning for example, make arrangements in advance.
This is especially important if you are planning to host and entertain for holidays. In that case, you definitely have to plan your cleaning in advance, so you can have time for all the other things that need to be done, and also not to stress yourself, but to be able to enjoy the holidays with everybody else.
I Keeping Household Surfaces Clean
Household surfaces should be regularly cleaned to prevent the spread of germs and bacteria. The following steps can help you keep your household surfaces clean and sanitary:
Dust all flat surfaces, such as tables, shelves, countertops, and floors, with a dry cloth or feather duster. Vacuum carpets, area rugs, and upholstered furniture in all rooms at least once a week.
Wipe down surfaces
Use an appropriate cleaner and a non-abrasive cloth or sponge to wipe down surfaces. Be sure to wipe in the direction of the grain of the surface – this will prevent scratches or damage.
Use a disinfectant cleaner to sanitize household surfaces, such as doorknobs, light switches, countertops, and toilets. Be sure to follow the instructions on the product label for best results.
Disinfect frequently used items
Items that are frequently touched, such as remote controls and cell phones, should be regularly disinfected using a disinfectant spray or wipes.
Wash your hands
Be sure to wash your hands before and after touching any household surfaces, especially when handling food.
By following these steps, you can help keep your home clean and reduce the spread of germs and bacteria. Proper cleaning and sanitizing are essential for maintaining a healthy household environment.
II Speedy Laundry Solutions
As busy mums, it can be difficult to find the time for laundry. Here are some quick tips for getting your family’s clothes clean and dry in a hurry:
- Make sure you sort your laundry as soon as possible. This will save you time when it comes to actually doing the washing.
- Invest in an extra-large capacity washing machine and dryer. This will reduce the amount of loads you have to do, saving you time in the long run.
- Pre-treat stained clothes before washing them. This will help get rid of stubborn stains faster, so you don’t have to spend ages scrubbing them out by hand.
- Hang laundry outside when the weather permits. This will dry your clothes faster than a dryer and save you energy, too.
- Dry-clean delicate items to save time. This may be more expensive, but it’s worth it if you’re short on time.
- Use fabric softener sheets in the dryer to reduce static cling and wrinkles. This will make ironing a breeze.
- If you’re short on time, use the “express” cycle on your washing machine. It will cut down your washing time significantly, so you can get your laundry done faster.
- Don’t forget to check pockets before putting clothes in the wash! This will save you from having to pick out lint and other debris from the filter afterwards.
- Invest in a foldable laundry hamper or basket. This will help you quickly sort your dirty clothes without having to spend time carrying them around the house.
These quick cleaning hacks will help busy mums save time and energy when it comes to doing the laundry. With these tips, you’ll be able to keep up with your family’s laundry needs without feeling overwhelmed.
III Organizing Clutter Quickly
When you’re a busy mum, it can be hard to keep your home free of clutter. But organizing quickly is possible with some simple strategies.
Start by segmenting your space into zones that are easy to address – like the kitchen counter, entryway table, or bathroom shelves.
Then set aside 15 minutes each day to go through the clutter and organize it. Create a donation or garbage pile as you go through the items, so that at the end of your 15 minutes you can quickly put away or discard the things you don’t need.
In this way you will be able to declutter quickly and efficiently.
IV Decluttering Kitchen Cupboards
For busy mums, keeping the kitchen cupboards organized and clutter-free is a must.
Try taking everything out one by one, wiping down the shelves and sorting through what you’ve got. If there are any items that you don’t use or need anymore, put them in a donation bag.
Once they’re gone, replace the items back in a neat and organized way.
Make sure each shelf is labeled with what it contains so that you can easily find things when you need them.
Cleaning Out Refrigerator & Freezer
A cluttered fridge or freezer can take up more energy to keep cool, which can end up costing you more money in electricity bills.
Take out every item, one by one and check if it’s still good to eat. If not, throw it away.
Wipe down the shelves and drawers with a damp cloth before replacing the items back in an orderly fashion. Don’t forget to clean the door seals as well.
Cleaning Out the Pantry
Similar to cleaning out your kitchen cupboards, take everything out of your pantry one by one and check if it’s still usable.
Toss anything that is expired or you don’t need anymore. Wipe down the shelves and neaten up the items before replacing them back in an organized way. Label each shelf to identify the contents easily when needed.
V Dust Off Light Fixtures and Surfaces
A quick dusting of any light fixtures or surfaces can easily freshen up the room without taking too much time out of your day. Use a microfiber cloth, duster or vacuum with an attachment to quickly get rid of any accumulated dust and dirt. This will also help keep the air in your home cleaner for you and your family to breathe in.
VI Vacuum Rugs and Carpets
Rugs, carpets and other floor coverings can accumulate a lot of dirt, unlike hard surfaces which are more easily cleaned. A regular vacuum will quickly pick up any debris, dust, pet hair and other allergens.
If you have a vacuum with an upholstery attachment, use it to clean upholstered furniture such as sofas and chairs. This will help keep your home looking fresh and free of dirt and grime.
VII Disinfecting the Bathroom
Mums know that cleaning the bathroom is a chore that needs to be done regularly – especially with little ones in the house.
To make it easier, keep an all-purpose disinfectant spray and microfiber cloth handy for quick cleanups.
Spray down surfaces with the disinfectant and then use the microfiber cloth to wipe them down.
This will help keep mold, mildew and bacteria at bay, without having to break out the scrubbing brush.
VIII Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Cleaning hardwood floors doesn’t have to be a long and arduous process. There are several ways to clean your hardwood floor quickly without sacrificing the protection and shine of your floors.
To get started, use a microfiber mop with a dust cloth attachment for removing dirt and debris from the surface of the floor.
Then, apply a small amount of hardwood floor cleaner to the mop and use circular motions to clean.
This will not only clean your floors faster but also help protect them from scratches and wear.
IX Hacks for Cleaning the Windows
Here are some useful hacks for this least favorite home chore.
- Use vinegar and warm water. Mix a cup of white vinegar with 1 gallon of warm water in a bucket to create an effective cleaning solution for your windows. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant that can help get rid of dirt, grease, and grime.
- Start from the top down. Begin at the top of the window and work your way down. This will help to prevent streaking and make sure that any dirt particles are moved away from the glass instead of being smeared across it.
- Use newspapers to wipe away excess solution or dirt. Newspaper is an effective tool for cleaning windows because it absorbs liquid quickly and won’t leave streaks or lint behind.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals. Harsh chemicals such as ammonia and bleach can damage the window frames or leave a film on the glass that can create a hazy look when light enters the room.
- Clean windows in direct sunlight. Direct sunlight will help to evaporate any excess moisture on the glass, which will help to prevent streaks from forming.
- Use a squeegee for streak-free windows. A good quality squeegee is the perfect tool for cleaning your windows and getting them sparkling clean without leaving any streaks behind.
- Dry off edges with a cloth or sponge. To get rid of any excess water or cleaning solution at the edges of the window, use a cloth or sponge to dry it off. This will help to prevent any streaks from forming and make sure that your windows are left streak-free.
- Use a microfiber cloth for the final touch. A good quality microfiber cloth is perfect for giving your windows the final touch and making them shine. It will help to remove any dust or dirt particles without leaving behind lint or streaks.
- Don’t forget about the frames. When you’re done, don’t forget about the window frames! A good cleaning of these can make all the difference in the look of your windows. Use a mild detergent and warm water to clean the frames.
- Protect your windows from future dirt and grime. To keep your windows looking their best, apply a protective coating such as Rain-X to prevent dirt and grime from adhering to the glass. This will help to keep your windows looking clean and sparkling for much longer.
By following these simple steps, you can make sure that your windows are left sparkling clean and streak-free.
X Decluttering the Garage or Shed
For busy mums, it can be a real challenge to find the time and motivation to clean out their garage or shed. However, with a few simple tricks and tips, you can quickly clear up your storage space without spending hours on the task.
Start by sorting through everything in your garage or shed into piles. Separate items into categories such as items you need to keep, items that could be sold or donated, and items that need to be thrown away. Once everything is sorted, it’s time to take action.
Start by disposing of any hazardous materials or anything that can’t be reused safely. This includes chemical cleaners and paints, propane tanks, old batteries, and anything else that may be hazardous to your health.
Next, start taking out any items that can be sold or donated. Post them online or take them to a local thrift store, depending on what you have available in your area. You’d be surprised at how quickly these items will go!
Finally, put your useful items back into the garage or shed in an organized fashion. Group similar items together according to their purpose, and store them on shelves or in plastic bins so you’ll be able to quickly find what you need when it’s time to do some DIY projects.
Cleaning can be a daunting task for busy mums, but with these hacks and techniques, it doesn’t have to be as difficult or time-consuming.
By using the right tools and products, setting up a cleaning schedule, and enlisting help from family members whenever possible, you can make sure that your home is always clean and organized.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums