Stress and the city: CBD as stress relief – Sorting fact from fiction
- Mums Tips
- Fitness & Health
- Published on Thursday, 07 October 2021 09:20
- Last Updated on 24 March 2022
- Carolina Kon
- 0 Comments
This last year has been eventful for everyone, from children to teens and adults, all due to the fact that we have been trying to deal with something new and challenging for all of us. The pandemic has also changed most of our lives forever and has left many of us fighting new demons, such as stress, anxiety and worries.
During our many lockdowns, we have looked at different coping mechanisms to be healthy and a recent survey by Dragonfly CBD has found that:
- A half (47%) feel pressure to be perfect
- Three in 10 (28%) feel pressure with how they look
- A fifth (21%) with how they dress
- One in five (20%) feel pressure in their role as a partner
- 20% feel pressure to be perfect at work
Sometimes the pressure to look for health perfection may lead people to suffering from a number of different signs, such as stress, sleep deprivation, depression, anxiety and eating disorders.
Stress levels seem to have gotten higher in most people during the pandemic and many teens are now feeling the burden, compared to life before 2020.
Two of the major factors in our everyday life that seem to have been disrupted by Covid 19, are the lack of sleep and insomnia. By not sleeping the recommended 7 to 9 hours a day, our bodies eventually will have health issues that with time will impact us and the side effects are to be managed if we don’t want to encounter certain effects on our health. These can vary from depression, weight gain, high blood pressure, poor balance, low sex drive, concentration, diabetes, and other health issues.
What seems the correlation with poor sleep and health? Especially in this last year, people have had to think at extra issues, that have brought them to worry and stress more, such as jobs, their financial situation and of course the stress with the covid state.
What have people done to improve their sleep patterns and to try not to worry? Some have gone to doctors and got prescribed medication, while other have tried herbal remedies and CBD. Research from Dragonfly CBD have noted that
- Six in 10 (61%) said they would try a safe, natural therapy to improve sleep if they knew about one that could help.
To better understand CBD, we need to go to the origins and understand what Cannabidiol is all about.
Cannabis Sativa L is one of three main species of the genus Cannabis
- This species, Cannabis Sativa L,is rich in CBD, the compound contained in CBD
- Food supplement regulated by Food Standard’s Agency
- This should be distinguished from Cannabis Indica Lam which typically has high levels of THC, which is used for medicinal or recreational purposes
- THC has psycho-tropic properties which cause the ‘high’ that cannabis is most famous for
Lastly, what everyone should remember is that it is a legal, non-addictive substance that is widely distributed across the world.
CBD, as provided by brands such as Bluebird Botanicals, seems to be giving a calming effect and pain improvement in the central nervous system, and people suggest that it also helps with anxiety, depression, and sleep issues.
What is also reassuring, is the fact that the World Health Organization has recognised that CBD may have the potential to help health issues like insomnia as well as anxiety which can prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep.