Eaten a laundry pod – what to do
- Mums Tips
- Fitness & Health
- Published on Monday, 06 June 2016 11:05
- Last Updated on 05 June 2016
- Emma Hammett
- 0 Comments
Recent headlines announced as part of Child Safety week state that thirty children EACH day are being poisoned by liquid laundry detergent pods.
- Keep all potentially harmful substances out of reach of small children and ideally in a locked cupboard. This includes; laundry detergent pods, dishwasher tablets, medicines, alcohol, cosmetics, DIY, cleaning and gardening products
- Ensure that Grandparents, Child Carers and visitors who may not be used to small children, are careful about leaving potentially hazardous substances within reach – the contents of many hand bags are often fascinating and lethal to a small child!
- Never decant medication or other products into different containers, always use the original containers, clearly labelled, with childproof lids if possible.
- Keep batteries out of reach of small children and ensure that batteries in their toys are firmly secured.
- Fit carbon monoxide alarms and have appliances and alarms regularly checked.
- Be aware of harmful plants – many decorative plants are toxic. Plants can be checked through the Royal Horticultural Society or by asking your local florist or horticultural nursery.
Cleaning products and dishwasher tablets contain strong alkalis and burn if swallowed. If you suspect a child has eaten a dishwasher tablet, or drunk some cleaning product; calmly establish what has happened and consult the advice on the packaging.
- Wipe away any obvious residue from around the child’s mouth and encourage them to rinse their mouth with milk or water. If they have swallowed the substance, give them small sips of milk or water. Keep everything as calm as possible and phone for an ambulance, giving as much information as you can.
- Do not make the child sick as the substance will have burnt their oesophagus on the way down and vomiting will burn them again as the corrosive substance comes back up, causing more damage.
- If they begin to lose consciousness and you need to give CPR, protect yourself from the corrosive substance using a face shield.
- If you find a child has eaten a button battery from a watch, or one of their toys; they will need to be taken to Accident and Emergency for an X-ray. A battery will burn through the intestinal wall and you may not be aware there is a problem until the child becomes unwell. Ensure batteries are always secure within gadgets and keep them out of reach of small children.
A poison is any substance (a solid, liquid, or a gas) which can cause damage if it enters the body in sufficient quantities.
A poison can be swallowed, breathed in, absorbed through the skin or injected.
Some poisons cause an all over reaction: and can result in seizures, blurred vision, a major allergic reaction and can be fatal – if you suspect that a child has been exposed to a potentially harmful substance, be cautious and always get the child quickly seen by a medical professional
- If you suspect that a child has taken a harmful substance. Calmly establish how much has gone, if it has been eaten and if any has been swallowed.
- If the child is perfectly well call 111 (they have access to the poisons database and can give clear and helpful advice) or the emergency services and give as much information as you can.
- If a berry has been eaten, take a photo and leaf from the plant to help it to be identified. Keep the child calm and still, as running around will increase their metabolism. If it is a tablet or substance contained within packaging, retain as much evidence as possible as to what has been taken and take the packaging with you to hospital.
- If the child shows any change in behaviour, starts to vomit or becomes drowsy. Call an ambulance and explain clearly what has happened. Do not take them to hospital in the car unless advised to do so by the emergency services in case they deteriorate on the way to hospital.
It is strongly advised that you attend a Practical or online First Aid course to understand what to do in a medical emergency. First Aid for Life is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made, or actions taken based on this information.
Emma Hammett is the CEO and Founder of First Aid for Life. First Aid for Life is an Award Winning fully regulated First Aid Training business, our trainers are extremely experienced medical and emergency services professionals and our training is tailored to your needs.
We give people the skills and confidence to help in an emergency.
Emma Hammett is a First Aid expert and is regularly contacted as a spokesperson for SKY News and the BBC, she is the First Aid expert for Mothercare.
First Aid for life provides this information for guidance and it is not in any way a substitute for medical advice. First Aid for Life is not responsible or liable for any diagnosis made, or actions taken based on this information. The best way to be prepared for action in an emergency is to attend a practical First Aid course.