Snack recipe: Caramelised Onion Spread
- Feeding the Family
- Published on Monday, 16 September 2013 13:00
- Last Updated on 16 September 2013
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Quick snack recipe idea for a yummy Caramelised Onion Spread. Rich, sweet and creamy – this is fabulous served with oat cakes and makes a lovely alternative dip to hummus.
This will keep in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Suitable for vegetarians, Nut Free, Seed Free, Soy Free, Egg Free.
Serves 4-6 Makes enough for at least 16 oat cakes.
2 tbsp olive oil
4 onions, peeled and chopped finely
1 garlic clove, crushed
115g cream cheese
115g sour cream
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1tbsp chives, finely chopped
Salt & pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and sauté the onions and garlic. Cook on medium to low heat until they are caramelized, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
2. Place the onions, cream cheese, sour cream and lemon in a food processor and pulse to combine.
Adjust the seasoning to taste. Stir in the chives.
3. Chill until needed. Spoon onto the oatcakes to serve.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums