Recipe: My Granny’s Yogurt cake (child-friendly)
- Feeding the Family
- Published on Tuesday, 28 March 2017 10:45
- Last Updated on 28 March 2017
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
This recipe for a simple yogurt cake is very child-friendly and is one of my Grandmother from Italy with a few modern variations. My 10 year-old son Diego has made it for me this Mother’s Day. It is such a simple cake that children can make it without supervision (except for when the cake needs to be put in the oven). You can make it for Birthday parties with inside filling of either jam or Nutella or custard at your taste. Cake baking and decorating is one of those activities that will keep kids entertain for hours, particularly important during the school holidays.
Children learn a lot while cooking: preparing their own food (useful for later in life), getting to know the ingredients (fussy eaters would particularly benefit from this), socialising with mum or friends while cooking and finally eating together. Remember the old saying: Family that eats together stays together! Or Family that cooks together stays together.
Ingredients (for 8 cake slices)
150 g Greek yogurt or simple natural yogurt
180 g unsalted butter (or margarine for a lighter version), melted
300 g self-rising flour
275 g caster sugar (I also use Sweet Freedom as a lighter variation – better for kids as it avoids sugar rush)
A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius, gas mark 5.
- Beat together the yogurt and eggs, then stir in the melted butter.
- In a large bowl mix together all the remaining ingredients to remove all lumps then add the yogurt mix.
- Pour the batter in a round baking tray previously covered with baking paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Cool before eating.
- Top Tip: with the same ingredients and method you can also make cupcakes/muffins. Just put the paste in cupcake holders instead.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums