- Feeding the Family
- Published on Tuesday, 23 July 2013 09:00
- Last Updated on 07 October 2018
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Here is a simple recipe for the yummy Greek Moussaka which we love calling Mmmmoussaka. This recipe was kindly donated to London Mums and extracted from the latest Ella’s Kitchen The Cook Book – The Red One. Enjoy!
Serves: 4, Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 50 minutes
Named after the sound little ones make when they eat it, this delicious dinner combines
lamb mince with smooth sweet potato for a scrummy twist. Using crème fraîche instead
of béchamel sauce saves you time without losing any creaminess.
What you need
2–3 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, chopped (optional)
225 g/8 oz lean minced lamb
120 g/4¼ oz mashed sweet potato
1 small aubergine, sliced into rounds about 1 cm/½ in thick
1 large potato, sliced
100 g/3½ oz Cheddar cheese, grated
150 g/5½ oz crème fraîche
What to do
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan, add the onion (if using) and cook for 3 minutes over a medium heat until softened. Add the mince and cook for 4–5 minutes. Then, reduce the heat, add the sweet potato mash and cook for a further 1 minute. Remove from the heat; set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to a large frying pan and gently fry the aubergine rounds for 10 minutes until soft.
4. Meanwhile, place the slices of potato in a large saucepan of water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until the potatoes are slightly softened but not mushy.
5. In a shallow ovenproof dish, put a layer of meat mixture followed by a layer of both potato and aubergine. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, finishing with a neat layer of the potato and aubergine slices.
6. In a bowl mix three-quarters of the grated cheese with the crème fraîche. Spread this
mixture over the top layer of the moussaka. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese, then cook in the oven for about 30 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling.
Ella’s Shortcut: To save having to mash up a sweet potato, try using 1 x 120 g/4¼ oz pouch of Ella’s Kitchen Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin, Apples + Blueberries and you get the added benefit of fruity goodness, too!
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums