Recipe: Chicken and Butterbean Casserole with Mashed Potatoes
- Feeding the Family
- Published on Wednesday, 30 January 2013 16:34
- Last Updated on 30 January 2013
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
This delicious recipe for Chicken and Butterbean Casserole with Mashed Potatoes has been kindly donated by Jessica’s Recipe Bag, an amazing service that delivers a recipe book including all ingredients you need to prepare easy and healthy home-cooked meals for a whole week.
600g boneless chicken thighs
400ml tin of butterbeans
1 tin chopped tomatoes
100ml chicken stock
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp chopped thyme
2 tbsps of olive oil
70g green olives
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 35 minutes
1. Prepare the vegetables. Dice both the carrots and onion, crush the garlic cloves and finely chop the thyme.
2. In a large casserole or frying pan that has a lid, heat the olive oil, add the chicken thighs and fry them until they are slightly browned on both sides. Remove and set aside. Add the onions and carrots to the remaining oil and fry gently for 5 minutes then add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the chicken thighs, olives, tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, butter beans (drained) and half the thyme. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on. Turn the thighs over after 15 minutes.
3. While the casserole is cooking. Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes and boil for 15 minutes until soft. When the potatoes are ready mash them well with 20g of butter and 50ml of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. When the chicken is ready stir in the remaining thyme and serve with the mashed potatoes.
A group of London Mums tried this service for a week and were surprised of the quality of the ingredients but the simplicity of the yummy and unusually selected recipes.
If you want to try this service too, you can order online at www.jessicasrecipebag.co.uk, either individually or by weekly or fortnightly subscription, with evening delivery across London, later to extend across the UK. You can get 50% off your first bag if you use the code LDNMUMS.
Jessica’s Recipe Bag is a new venture that is set to find its perfect niche among the city’s stressed and time-pressed families. Filled with tasty recipes alongside all the fresh ingredients needed to feed a family of four and delivered to your door at the click of a mouse, the recipe bags will restore the pleasures of cooking in kitchens across the capital.
On those busy, stressful days when time just seems to vanish, Jessica’s Recipe Bag is the helping hand you’ve always wished for, stepping in to manage the meal planning and food shopping for you, leaving you to reclaim precious time and just enjoy the cooking and a more leisurely family meal.
The recipes are simple and easy to follow, the ingredients fresh and locally sourced. Designed by nutritional therapist and cook Jessica Andersson, the meals are mouthwatering and varied as well as healthy and nutritionally balanced: Mustard & Breadcumbed Cod, Racks of Lamb with Flageolet Beans, or Sesame Salmon on Wholemeal Noodles, all need no more than 45 minutes to prepare and cook. The quality of the ingredients is paramount: all meat is sourced from Billfields, the traditional family-run British butchers, with fresh fish supplied by Simsons fishmongers, and seasonal and mostly organic vegetables selected from the fine quality available from New Covent Garden Market.
Jessica’s Recipe Bag has been established by Jessica Andersson in partnership with Swedish company Linas Matkasse. Siblings Lina Gebäck and Niklas Aronsson pioneered their idea in Sweden with enormous success, seeing 1.2 million bags delivered in the four years since the company was launched. Jessica brings to the UK enterprise a wealth of experience and a broad knowledge of food as a nutrition expert, as well as an understanding of the financial and time pressures on families, as a working mother of three herself.
Having learned to cook at the apron strings of her Swedish mother and grandmother, British-born Jessica developed an early passion for food, her tastes further cultivated as she travelled and lived across the globe. An ardent advocate of the importance of family meals and of teaching children to cook and appreciate good, healthy food, Jessica is keen to promote these values through her Recipe Bags. Creating and testing the recipes herself, Jessica also plans the meals and quantities for every bag so as to avoid any food waste as far as possible.
The Family Bag contains recipes and ingredients for four different main meals for a family of four, excluding cupboard staples such as seasonings and basic condiments, and is priced at £69, offering excellent value for money. The smaller Couples Bag contains three meals for two people and is designed for busy couples and those with young babies. The Couples Bag is priced at £42, less than a week’s shopping for two.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums