Recipe: Dairy-Free Carrot Cake with White Chocolate Icing
- Feeding the Family
- Published on Wednesday, 29 May 2013 09:00
- Last Updated on 20 May 2013
- Monica Costa
- 1 Comment
A lot of people are dairy intolerant these days so we found this amazing recipe for a Dairy-Free Carrot Cake with White Chocolate Icing for all to enjoy.
You will need to make the icing first because it needs a couple of hours in the fridge, to set to a spreadable consistency.
Serves 8-10 – You will need 2 greased and lined 8inch (20cm) round cake tins.
For the Cake
225g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
150g caster sugar
¼ pint (150ml) vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ripe banana, mashed
100g grated carrot
For the icing
250ml coconut cream
For the icing
· Melt the White Couverture Powder in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
· Pour the coconut cream into a mixing bowl and gently beat until smooth.
· Add the melted couverture powder and beat together until completed blended in.
· Cover with some cling film and leave to set for 2 hours in the fridge.
For the cake
· Sieve all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
· Stir in the sugar.
· Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
· Divide the mixture between the two lined and greased tins and spread out evenly.
· Bake in the oven 1800C (1600C for fan ovens) GM4, for 25-30minutes, until golden and firm to the touch.
· Turn out and leave to cool.
· Sandwich the two cakes together with half the icing, then spread the rest on the top.
This unique recipe was kindly donated to London Mums magazine by the Mortimer Chocolate Company. Having, just been highly commended for a national food award for their White Couverture Powder, a dairy-free and healthy alternative to white chocolate.
Mortimer Chocolate is currently stocked nationwide in Waitrose and can be purchase online from their website www.mortimerchocolate.co.uk
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums