Coronation recipe: Elderberry Fritters
- Feeding the Family
- Published on Monday, 24 April 2023 22:42
- Last Updated on 25 April 2023
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Whether planning a street party or get together for the Coronation or just having friends over for an al fresco lunch / dinner this summer, London Mums have sourced some really tasty recipes courtesy of Jana Fritzsche, Nutritional Chef Classes for UK Healthy Living and Ageing Platform Goldster. We start with this recipe for Elderberry Fritters. Not only Jana’s recipes are all fit for a King, but they are Greek influenced, paying homage to King Charles III Greek heritage.
Ingredients for Elderberry Fritters:
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla sugar (optional)
- 1 large or 2 small elderflower heads per person
- Powdered sugar
- Pour approx.. an inch of oil into a large skillet, and heat over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, eggs, milk, and salt to make a batter.
- When the oil is hot, dunk an elderflower cluster in the batter, then carefully add it to the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon or carefully pick up by the green stalk and move onto a plate with paper towel to drain.
- Repeat dipping and frying with the remaining elderflower clusters and batter, top skillet up with additional oil as needed.
- Dust the fritters with powdered sugar and eat while still warm.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums