Breakfast Recipe: Vanilla Berry French Toast
- Feeding the Family
- Published on Monday, 05 April 2021 11:08
- Last Updated on 02 April 2021
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
This Vanilla Berry French Toast recipe was created by plant-based food blogger and stylist, Nourishing Amy, in partnership with Jason’s Sourdough (available in three variants, White, Grains & Seeds and Craft Beer, from M&S stores nationwide, RRP £1.80). This bread evokes memories of my childhood and the mornings spent at the beach after eating fresh sourdough slices with jam on top. This bread is a time machine of the senses.
Amy has used Jason’s Sourdough fluffy White Ciabattin and naturally-sweetened with maple syrup. This nutritious toast tastes so good that we’d be forgiven for forgetting that this yummy breakfast was vegan! Bursting with flavour, it is indeed the perfect breakfast recipe to start the day in style or even for a delicious weekend brunch with family and friends.
The Master Baker is Jason Geary and baking is in his DNA. As a fourth generation baker – the Geary family opened the first bakery in 1906 – he grew up with his grandfather’s baking recipes, lovingly hand crafted and refined down the years. When it came to joining the family business, there was only one job he wanted – a baker! From honing and continuing the master craftsmanship of his grandfather, to coming up with new recipes to reflect the modernity and innovation that’s the hallmark of our bakery – he still loves his job very much.
Ingredients for the toast:
180ml plant-based milk
1 tbsp maple syrup
20g chickpea flour (alternatively, substitute with 50g white flour)
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla
A pinch of salt
Vegan butter/coconut oil, for frying
4-6 slices Jason’s Sourdough White Ciabattin
For the toppings:
200g mixed frozen berries
½ tsp vanilla essence
To serve: 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt, extra syrup, pomegranate, chopped chocolate
- Add the milk, syrup, chickpea/white flour, cinnamon, vanilla and a pinch of salt to a large bowl and whisk well.
- Heat a large frying pan with some vegan butter/coconut oil. Dip each slice of Jason’s Sourdough into the batter on each side and transfer to the pan, cooking one or two at a time depending on the size of the pan. Cook for a few minutes on one side until golden, flip and cook on the other side until crisp. Repeat to cook all the French toast.
- Meanwhile, warm the berries in the microwave or in a saucepan with a splash of water and ½ tsp vanilla until softened.
- Serve the French toast stacked, topped with some coconut yoghurt, the warmed berries, extra syrup, pomegranate and chopped chocolate.
For more culinary inspiration check London Mums recipe section.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums