Recipe: Spicy Meatball Soup
- Published on Monday, 28 January 2013 09:00
- Last Updated on 28 January 2013
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Quite a lot of ingredients here but very well-worth the little extra time and effort.
400g lean minced beef, lamb or chicken
1 egg, lightly whisked
2 tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped (parsley/oregano/thyme/marjoram)
½ teaspoon salt
A few good grindings of black pepper
Pinch chilli powder
1 tablespoon olive/rapeseed oil
1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 large stalk celery, finely sliced
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 large courgette, sliced or chopped
1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree
1 litre beef/chicken/lamb stock (depending on your choice of meat/poultry)
1 x 400g tinned, chopped tomatoes
100g curly kale/savoy cabbage, very finely sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good bunch fresh parsley chopped
• Thoroughly mix the minced meat/poultry, egg, herbs, salt, pepper and chilli powder in a bowl with a fork.
• Make around 16 bite-sized meatballs with your hands, lay them on a dish, cover and put in the fridge while you make the soup.
• Heat the oil in a large soup pot, add the onion, carrot and celery and saute gently until the onion is soft and translucent and the carrots are slightly tender (don’t brown).
• Add the chilli, garlic, courgette and tomato puree, stir well and saute for a further 5 minutes.
• Add the stock and tinned tomatoes, bring slowly to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
• Add the kale/cabbage and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
• Add the meatballs to the soup with a large spoon and simmer gently until they are cooked through (around 8-10 minutes).
• Check the seasoning and serve; 4 meatballs to a bowl, topped with lots of fresh parsley.
This recipe has been donated by Fiona Kirk & Jean Barr, authors of the book ‘SOUP CAN MAKE YOU THIN’ available in eBook format, £4.99 from www.souperydupery.com.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums