Recipe: Gazpacho-Style Soup
- Published on Thursday, 17 January 2013 09:00
- Last Updated on 17 January 2013
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
A fragrant and refreshingly light tomato soup/stew which is particularly good when warm rather than hot.
6 medium, ripe tomatoes or 6 tinned tomatoes
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, central stem removed then thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
½ teaspoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon olive/rapeseed oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 heaped teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
1 heaped teaspoon tomato purée
• Put the tomatoes in a large bowl, cover with boiling water, leave for 30 seconds then drain, remove the skins, stems and seeds and chop the flesh roughly.
• If you are using tinned tomatoes, remove the stems and seeds and chop the flesh roughly.
• Put the fennel and water in a small pot with the salt, bring slowly to the boil, reduce the heat, put a lid on and simmer very gently for 10-15 minutes or until the fennel is tender but still has a bite to it.
• Remove from the heat and set aside.
• Crush the coriander seeds and peppercorns in a pestle and mortar.
• Warm the oil in a large soup pot, add the onion and spices and saute gently until the onions are soft (don’t let them brown).
• Add the garlic and saute for a further 5 minutes.
• Add the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, chopped tomatoes, oregano and tomato puree and stir well.
• Add the fennel and its simmering water, bring the soup to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature before serving with a good shake of celery salt and few chopped oregano leaves scattered over.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums