Recipe: Crab & Ginger Soup
- Published on Friday, 11 January 2013 12:12
- Last Updated on 11 January 2013
- Monica Costa
- 0 Comments
Velvety smooth, deliciously fishy and great for entertaining.
2 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
2 tablespoons tomato puree
750ml fish stock
140g fresh white fish, roughly chopped
225g white crab meat (good quality tinned crab also works fine)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Warm the oil in a soup pot over a low heat, add the onion, garlic and ginger and gently saute with the lid on for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft.
• Add the brandy if using, turn up the heat a little and reduce until most of the liquid has gone (this burns off the alcohol).
• Add the tomato puree and stir well before adding the stock then bring slowly to the boil.
• Reduce the heat, add the white fish, stir well and simmer very gently for 10 minutes.
• Add the crab meat and continue to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
• Liquidise until you have a very smooth soup, return to a clean pot and reheat slowly.
• Season to taste and serve, adding a few dill fronds to each bowl.
Monica Costa founded London Mums in September 2006 after her son Diego’s birth together with a group of mothers who felt the need of meeting up regularly to share the challenges and joys of motherhood in metropolitan and multicultural London. London Mums is the FREE and independent peer support group for mums and mumpreneurs based in London https://londonmumsmagazine.com and you can connect on Twitter @londonmums