Fashion Trends AW14: The only guide to London Fashion Week you need this season
- Mums Tips
- Fashion & Beauty
- Published on Sunday, 07 September 2014 11:00
- Last Updated on 08 September 2014
- 0 Comments
It’s that time of year again when Somerset House becomes home to the fashionable and the fabulous, the glamorous and the gorgeous. Designers from all over the world fill luxury London hotels and models sashay down runways lined with editors and bloggers alike, frantically scribbling in their notebooks, while the paparazzi are out in force trying to get that all important snap to splash all over tomorrow’s font pages.
Although the main exhibition area and catwalks are strictly for industry professionals, there are plenty of ways to enjoy a fashionable week in London even if you don’t have a backstage pass.
Here are our suggestions of how to enjoy a fashionable week in London:
- London Fashion Weekend (18-21 September 2014) – Once the fashion elite have vacated from Somerset House, it is overhauled ready for London Fashion Weekend – the part of Fashion Week that gives the public a taste of London Fashion Week (12-16 September 2014). Filled with catwalk shows, trend spotting, discount designer shopping bargains and talks from industry figure heads, weekend tickets start from just £16 for a shopping-only timed slot, but there are plenty of variations on packages and tickets.
- Go digital – Just because you don’t have a golden ticket to London Fashion Week doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the dreamy shows, beautiful clothes and excitement. Most fashion shows are now live streamed through the London Fashion Week website meaning you can sit back, relax and enjoy the shows in the comfort of your hotel room without the relentless crowds or the fear of getting trodden on by 6 inch stilettos…
- Join in the conversation – If you’ve got Twitter (duh, of course you have) then join the conversation using the hashtag #LFW and tweeting @LondonFashionWk. This will allow you to search for what people are tweeting and talking about during London Fashion Week. Follow the models, editors, designers and fashionistas and stay up to date with the goings-on, shows, excitement and more.
- Hit Oxford Street – Get the look with a visit to Oxford Street. Oxford Street in London is one of the pinnacle high streets of the fashion world and certainly the most famous street in London. Filled with designer flagship stores, iconic department stores and exciting high street shops, this street will be sure to make a dent in your debit card. So pick up a few pieces for your wardrobe and sashay down the street with the best of them.
- Get some culture – The iconic Victoria and Albert Museum will be showing the exhibition ‘Horst: Photographer of Style’ between 6 September 2014 and 4 January 2015. The exhibition displays the works of Horst who created images which transcended time and fashion and graced the pages of Vogue. This exhibition will display whimsical and captivating images of the gorgeous and glamourous from fashionable times gone by.
- Recycle, reuse and Rokit – Over the past three decades, Rokit has recycled over a million tonnes of discarded clothing to steadily become the highly-regarded regular haunt for the fashion and style savvy. The unique product range attracts tourists, celebrities and regulars alike. Find a gem in this treasure trove of fashion!
Dino da Silva is the Head Concierge at The Draycott Hotel. Dino has a number of years experience in the hotel industry and is passionate about dispensing London knowledge to help guests make the most of their stay.