How to create the perfect luxury picnic hamper!
- Published on Saturday, 12 July 2014 11:50
- Last Updated on 03 July 2017
- 0 Comments
The British summer is in full swing with the seasonal calendar fast filling up. You’ve booked your luxury London hotel, you’ve checked the weather forecast and you’re ready for a day of traditional British sport.
From Wimbledon to Henley Royal Regatta, there are many traditional and exciting events to attend all over the country.
If you are planning on attending one of these classic British summer time events, then don’t forget to pack a luxury picnic hamper to enjoy with your friends and family.
Here’s what to include in your perfect picnic:
• Smoked salmon – Nothing says grown up picnic like smoked salmon, cream cheese, delicious brown bread and a fresh lemon. These easy to eat items can make the basis of your luxury hamper; simply layer the smoked salmon onto the brown bread, slather on some cream cheese and, if you have some, add some dill before squeezing fresh lemon juice all over. Perfection!
• Cheese and crackers – Cheese is an excellent addition to a picnic hamper. Cheese can be used as main, enjoyed with crackers, celery and grapes. Pack a range of cheeses which offer different flavours and textures; Brie, Stilton, Cheddar, Camembert and Manchego all have varying different flavours and textures which means you can mix and match to your heart’s content. Pack some salted crackers and pile on the cheese!
• Caviar – Not just for royalty and the elite, caviar is available is most supermarkets and adds a hint of sophistication to your picnic hamper. Eaten in small doses, caviar can be used as an appetiser for your picnic. Simply layer small amounts of caviar on salted crackers or on blinis, small thin pancakes, and add a little cream cheese and dill for the perfect pre-picnic appetiser!
• French stick – A crusty French baton provides the basis for a picnic. Ideal for placing cheese and meats on, a freshly baked crusty French stick is fantastically flavoursome and has an aroma to die for.
• Cold cured meats – Meats such as salami, Parma ham and prosciutto are great sandwich fillers and make the ideal filling for fresh French bread. Fine and salty, add some salad and dill flavoured mayonnaise to your sandwich for a taste sensation.
• Salad – Salad is the ideal accompaniment to any picnic. It can be used to accompany other mains, used as a side dish or added to other picnic items. Tossed leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, peppers, celery and spring onions drizzled with balsamic vinegar creates the perfect salad.
• Cake – There’s nothing more British that a Victoria sponge cake, so get yours hand on one for the perfect British picnic. Cake can be easily transported and can be sliced and eaten out of napkins by hand or placed on a place and accompanied by berries and cream.
• Strawberries – Strawberries and cream are another brilliantly traditional British plate to be enjoyed anywhere. Include some fresh British organic strawberries in your picnic and serve with fresh full cream for a delicious and easy picnic desert.
Dino da Silva is the Head Concierge at The Draycott Hotel. Dino has a number of years experience in the hotel industry and is passionate about dispensing London knowledge to help guests make the most of their stay.